Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mitchell's Letter - March 21, 2011

Alright, I'll do this in two parts. First to the family, second about my mission stuff.

Melinda, Oh my. No way did I expect to go to Salt Lake. It blew my mind. But, I'm trying to be positive. I figure they kept me close so i could just leave when my visa comes.... Hopefully this week. But no. Life's good. The church is still true everywhere. Doesn't matter which language, which continent, or who you talk to. The church is still true, and everyone can have a chance to feel the spirit. It's just our job to take it to them. As I've recently found out, we're not called to a specific place. We're just called to help other people come to Christ. It doesn't really matter where. Everyone needs it. So take it to everyone.

Hmm... Don't really know what else to say. I guess I could tell you my address.
Elder Mitchell Tracy
Salt Lake City Mission
3487 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Hopefully it'll all get to the right place.

Hola!

I think thats how you spell it.... I dont really know. Well, as you all know by now I've been temporarily reassigned to the Salt Lake City Mission. Ya, it was really weird to find out that I was being reassigned so close to home. I never expected that at all. But, there was 7 of us from our district that got sent here. Elder Clark and Elder McLean got there visas and leave.... today. Weird. But ya, I'm here in Salt Lake.

We left the MTC about 7 am on Friday. Took the shuttle down to the mission office at a church in Salt Lake. It was weird. We talked with President and Sister Winn. We kinda just talked for a bit then ate a little breakfast. Afterwards we took pictures then went back up and got assigned companions. It was weird. I'm in a tripanionship with Elder Flaquer from Barcelona Spain, and Elder Homer from South Dakota. They're cool guys. But anyway, it was weird, because we got assigned companions, and were out doing stuff within an hour. I never expected that at all. Super weird. Oh ya, by the way... Im speaking Spanish now. Bet you didnt see that coming. Well neither did I. Now I have the privilege of learning spanish, and trying to keep the little portuguese that I know. It's super tough but I'm doing the best that I can.

Well, that was the end of our little district. We thought that some of us would get to stay together, but nope. We're all separated. Wont see them again for another 2 years. It's weird to think about. We were together for 2 months and now we're all gone. So weird....

Ok, well.... where to start?? Mission life is so much different out here in the field than at the MTC... We wake up at 6:30 and all, but then we personal study, companion study, and language study for an hour each. By then it's 11 o'clock, we plan, eat lunch, then we work. We walk, we talk, we teach, and we preach. (Pretty good eh?) It's tough. But it's a good experience.

On Friday we got to go to Temple Square. It was really cool. We took an investigator named Estaneslou? He is super cool. He was really interested and knew lots of answers to the Sister's questions. He is super ready to get baptized. But, the only problem is that he needs a kidney transplant. His wife was a member, but now doesnt like the church. But she supports him. She just says that he cant go outside because his immune system is really low. It's sad. He's really our only investigator, and he's sick. We're praying for him everyday.

We've had so many experiences these last 4 days. They were super cool. We talk to a lot of people everyday. Well, I dont, but my companions do. I feel a little like a third wheel. They're all just yappin in Spanish, and I'm just kinda sitting there like a little baby. But worse, because even the little kids speak better spanish than i do. Its sad really, but im trying my best. The families we eat with are super nice. One family just blew my mind. There were 3 sisters, in their 30's. They were talking so fast, so loud, and all at the same time. It was insane. And the fed us flan. I dont really like flan that much. Hopefully i dont get that again.

We've gotten to eat with members a lot. I really like that. They feed us so well. I get really full though. It's super hard because we're supposed to eat everything so they dont get offended. But sometimes, I really am so stuffed. I cant eat anymore. Its good though. And I love mexican food, so thats definitely a blessing. Definitely.

We go to a little Spanish branch on sunday. Oh my goodness. What a different experience. Spanish wards are so much different than English wards. They're much louder, kinda walk in and out of the chapel whenever they want, and take as much time as they want. The Branch President was just kinda calling people up out of the audience. It was weird. Elder Flaquer had to "try" to translate. Because we have some Senior missionaries here that dont really speak spanish either. But, it's good. Sacrament meeting lasted an hour and a half. It was the longest meeting that i'd ever been in. But it was good.

There is another companionship in our area i guess. They have so many investigators and we have none. It kinda upsets Elder Homer a bit. But we're good. We're not upset. We just need to work harder and have more faith that the Lord has prepared people and we need to find them.

We got to go to the Salt Lake Temple today. It was super cool. I'd never been before and I'm so glad that I got to go. It was soooo cool. It was awesome.

Well, mission life is different than expected. But it's much better. I love it. I love seeing people that don't have the gospel in their lives get interested. Even if they really arnt interested, it's good for me to see these experiences. It'll help me a lot I think.

I love you all. Talk to you soon. Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment